Building a home is a dream come true for most homeowners, and no one wants to ruin the joy of owning a home due to a dispute with the home builder. In fact, most owner-builder disputes can be avoided by keeping some simple tips in mind. Following are some useful tips to avoid a dispute with your builder.
- Choose a reputed builder. In addition to the testimonials, decide on the basis of you’re an interview. Keenly observe the signs. Does your builder seem an honest and reliable person?
- Do proper documentation with your builder. Sometimes, people rely on references and do not sign the formal agreements, which is a recipe for
- Provide your builder the pictures and detailed specifications of the installations you want in your home. If you trust the judgment of your builder, you can leave them to him.
- Make sure that your home builder understands your requirements regarding specification and the quality of the material and installations.
- Make sure that you fulfill your part of the agreement. If there is a delay from your side, do not blame your home builder and accept your mistake.
- Keep an eye on the work in progress from the start. Even if your builder is trustworthy, it is important to do regular inspections to ensure that the work is according to your expectations.
- Stay in contact with the Local Authority Building Control and make sure that they do their inspection properly. Also, make sure that you have updated information about the results of these inspections.
- If you request things that are not the part of the original plan, make sure that you and your home builder agree on the increase or decrease of the cost. Most disputes between homeowners and home builders revolve around money.